Season Update #4
Date: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:29 am
Topic: Burlington Oldtimers Slo-Pitch News
As most of you have already heard the great news from your captains, with the recent announcement for re-opening, the City is currently firming up permits to allow us to start the season. We are pushing for a July 5th start. The Board of Directors is working hard to get everything in order to meet that date. We have already met with all the captains and shared what we knew at the time. We would like to share the following with you and ask for your patience during this opening. As with all things COVID related, situations change rapidly, and we will endeavor to keep everyone informed.
Those players that took refunds or any new players that haven’t paid yet will need to send their payment in by Friday July 2, 2021 if they want to start playing on July 5th.
There are 2 options for payment. You can pay through the Registration Process on the website or e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will not be accepting payment by cheque.
The fee amount for those who haven’t paid yet will be $220
For those members that have already paid, the refund amount will be $65.
We will be offering 2 options for your refund. First option, e-transfer. You must e-mail email@example.com from an e-mail address that you want to receive your e-transfer. Second option, donate your refund to our charity, Burlington Foodbank. If you would like to donate your refund to the foodbank, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and advise him. If we don’t hear from you either way by July 31, 2021, we will be donating any remaining refunds to the Burlington Foodbank.
There will be no limits on the number of people allowed on the diamond. There will also be no league limits.
Spectators - Outdoor sport facilities with spectator seating is permitted at 25% capacity. If no bleachers, then spectators are to be physically distanced along the sidelines.
We will be back to regular Slo-Pitch rules.
All COVID Protocols for return to play will be focused around Social Distancing. A copy of these protocols will be sent to your captains who will forward to all of you.
Game Day Screening – The main requirement we need to meet for the City is COVID screening for EVERY game and we must keep these on file. Our VP and IT Director, Steve Bourke, has developed a tool on the League website where members can go in answer the screening questions any time during the day of your game. You will be able to complete the screening on your phone. This screening must be completed by every single player and your captains will be able to monitor who has completed it. Players will not be able to play that game if you don’t complete the screening. Steve will be sending instructions on how to complete the screening to your captains to share with you. In order to use this screening tool,you must register and create a sign in for the BOSL website. Do this immediately to avoid issues as we get closer to game time.
Slo-Pitch Ontario (SPO) Membership
As we’ve shared in previous updates, to play in the BOSL you must be a registered member of SPO. The cost of this membership is $15 and brings many benefits, the most import being Insurance. In the event that you get injured while playing, you will only be insured through your SPO Membership.
The league will not be carrying insurance for players any longer, so it is imperative that you register with SPO as soon as possible.
In order to add players to the appropriate team on the SPO website we need everyone to send to their captain the e-mail that you used for SPO registration OR your SPO member number. The Board of Directors will be monitoring SPO membership and we will be advising nonregistered players and possibly removing them from playing.
To register, please go to https://mrs.slopitch.org/Account/Login and if you have any issues logging in please contact the SPO office at 905-646-7773.
A tentative schedule has been posted on the BOSL Website.
We are still waiting for confirmation of permits from the City.
Permit times MAY be reduced by 15 minutes to allow for Social Distancing between games. This means that games will be a maximum of 75 minutes, not the regular 90 minutes. This also means that no new inning will start after 60 minutes.
We are still waiting for confirmation from the City, but we have requested to extend our permits to the end of September.
The Membership committee will be working to place all players on the waitlist and try to get team rosters up to 14 players per team. We’ve had quite a few withdrawals, but we also have quite a few new members.
Tournaments & Banquet
There will be no tournaments or Banquet this year. Current rules do not allow for large size gatherings. Tournaments take a great deal of planning and booking time. We have passed the point where we think we could effectively get everything in place, even if things changed in the next 3 weeks.
If we can extend our season into the end of September, we are going to look at a possible playoff round.
This is all great news and really shows there is light at the end of the tunnel. It’s been a long time for many of us since we’ve been able to get outdoors and participate in sport. I would ask everyone to remember what our league is about, Fun & Fellowship. Let’s be thankful for the opportunity to get back to the diamond. If we all try and be a little less competitive and appreciate the opportunity to play, I am sure the season will be as fun as should be. Please be patient with us as we work through all of the requirements to get the season up and running.
If you have any questions for myself or the Board of Directors, please funnel them through your captains.
As more information comes up, I will update everyone.
I hope everyone stays safe and looking forward to seeing all of you in the next couple of weeks.